While there is no equipment that is expressly required, the following items may be useful with your preparations. Please support our National Platinum Sponsor, Modern Teaching Aids (www.teaching.com.au) where possible.
Recommended Competition Resources
LEGO MINDSTORMS EV3 Kits and Software
RoboCupJunior Packs (Dance, Rescue, Soccer)
Teacher Resource Books
Websites for learning LEGO Mindstorms Programming
The following is a list of free online courses that are tailored directly to the LEGO EV3 system. This list was compiled by the amazing 'Robotics in Education' community mailing list.
- Dale Yocum - http://www.stemcentric.com/ev3-tutorial/
- Carnegie Mellon - http://www.education.rec.ri.cmu.edu/content/lego/ev3/curriculum/
- Dr Graeme - http://www.drgraeme.org/EV3/EV3.html
- Stem Robotics - http://stemrobotics.cs.pdx.edu/node/2643
- Nigel Ward - https://sites.google.com/site/gask3t/lego-ev3/ev3eeb3
- Udemy - https://www.udemy.com/fun-with-beginner-lego-mindstorms-ev3-robotics
- Rowan U / Google CS4HS - http://www.rowan.edu/cs4hs
- RobotC - http://www.robotc.net/blog/2014/09/09/fall-training-2014/#more-3623
- Dale Yocum - http://www.ortop.org/NXT_Tutorial/
LEGO Mindstorms Curriculum Resources
- Carnegie Mellon University - http://www.education.rec.ri.cmu.edu/content/lego/index.htm
- Damien Kee, ‘Classroom Activities for the Busy Teacher’ Books - http://www.damienkee.com/books
Generic Robot Designs
These robot designs are a good place to start with robotics. They can generally work for all different challenges with only minimal changes. While these are great for getting started, make sure you read the rules of each challenge carefully to make ensure your robot design is compliant.
Have you 'bricked' your EV3?
If for some reason your EV3 Brick stops working during the firmware update process, you will need to manually update the firmware by doing the following (the EV3 Brick still needs a USB connection to your computer):
1. Hold down the Back, Center, and Right buttons on the EV3 Brick.
2. When the EV3 Brick restarts, release the Back button.
3. When the screen says “Updating,” release the Center and Right
buttons and click the Download button in the Firmware Update
LEGOEngineering Mailing list - https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/legoengineering
“The aim of this mailing list is connect educators from around the world who have a common interest using robotics in education.”
LEGO Education Community - https://community.education.lego.com/
The official forums for all LEGO Education products
Robots will perform on a HARD, FLAT SURFACE. This may include mdf, vinyl, gym flooring etc
The Stage will include a marked square of 2.4m x 2.4m which is the Dance Floor for robots. The outside boundary of the Dance Floor will be marked with 50mm reflective aluminium foil tape.
RCJA Rescue requires a rescue field comprising 15 different tiles that are used in various combinations to create the rescue courses used in competition.
Check the Rescue rules for dimensions of the Open Rescue Platform and the dimensions and construction method of the Bridge and Speed Humps.
1. Speed Humps
Use the link below to access the Official RoboCup Junior Australia Rescue Scoring System.
This will calculate your teams scrore using this years rules.
RCJA Rescue Maze Australia conforms to the RCJI Rescue Maze Rules.
We have developed a set of Maze Modules that will fit together and still
meet the International Rules specifications.
The Maze Modules are made from:-
2 sheets each of 2400 x 1200
Bases - 16mm White Stripple finish HMR Particle Board.
Sides - 9mm Marine (or Structural) Ply
Simply glue and nail them together.
Use the cutting list below to create a competion field set of modules.
RCJA Soccer requires a soccer field of specific dimensions as shown on the right. Modern Teaching Aids supply the Soccer Field.